An Occupational Health Nurse is a Registered Nurse (RN), practicing in the specialty of Occupational Health, Safety, Environmental and Wellness to deliver integrated occupational health, safety environmental and wellness services to organizations, individual workers and worker populations. Occupational Health Nursing encompasses the promotion, maintenance and restoration of health and the prevention of illness and injury.
COHNA-ACIIST is committed to promoting excellence in the practice of occupational health nursing and advancing health, wellness and safety practices in the workplace by:
- Developing national standards and guidelines;
- Fostering working relationships between Provincial/Territorial Associations;
- Providing a forum for members to network, exchange knowledge and share expertise;
- Influencing legislation and regulations to improve the health and safety of workers;
- Promoting the diverse role of the occupational health nurse to business, community, government and professional affiliates at every opportunity.